Sunday, October 17, 2010

Prussia and British Accents rule. For me, anyway.

If you were offended by the title, I'm very very sorry. Really.
But it's just my opinion.

--
Getting off track again.
On 11th October, last Monday, I Two weeks ago (as in the week before last week),
...Apologies, my sense of chronology is in shambles at the moment.

It all began on Friday, the first day of October, probably. The afternoon was, well, cloudy and cold, I guess (as it always is). It was just another Social Studies/Humanities/History class before Lunch time. I was enjoying my time watching a video about Absolute Monarchs, when the teacher uttered the unforgettable.

"We wouldn't discuss Central Europe and Prussia in class. Read up on that in your own time."

And I almost cried. I have been waiting for several months to learn about the awesome nation, and we weren't even going to go through it. I was despairing. After class, I asked the teacher, Mrs. R, if she really meant that, and if there was any other way I could save my beloved country(too dramatic) I meant, never mind...

She said I could be discussion leader on it if I really wanted to, and I immediately agreed. Even though I was stressed over Louis XIV's rise as a discussion leader* (first time), I couldn't let my darling Prussia, and the golden opportunity pass. She said we would discuss more on the following Monday (which was also the day of the ACER tests. Urgh)

The next Monday (also the Monday two weeks ago), I recieved a note from her outlining what I should 'discuss' about, and we also had a talk about it. I was practically overjoyed, despite being slightly loaded with homework. She said if I wanted, I could work with a partner, and I agreed.

I almost solved my partner problem by joining up with friend/classmate J. Rather big mistake.
Not only could we not find time to meet up & research, she had no idea what the subject was either, though I may have told her about five times "It's about Central Europe. You read this section of the photocopy here. I'll do the part about Prussia, okay?" Plus she seemed to have no interest whatsoever.

So I was alone, slaving around my laptop during the weekend before my dramatic day (11 October). I almost lapsed into hate for Prussia.

And then that day, 11 October, Monday, came. Despite having only 1.5 practice sessions (the first one being partial, as I was halfway done through the PowerPoint when I practiced), I did a pretty awesome job. I barely stuttered, only stumbled occasionally at a forgotten word, and was enthusiastic about my work. Mrs. R gave me a 7 for my presentation* (YAY) I felt proud of my presentation, and thought I made der atle Fritz/Old Fritz proud.

The next day, my friends classmate F & A suddenly told me I spoke with a British accent during the whole presentation (especially when saying 'the Thirty Years' War'). It was pretty random, and it stunned me. I had been working hard on speaking with a British accent (I don't know; my English was neutral before, as in neither United Statian* or British, or Austrailian/etc) because I had a liking to the UK*, and the fact that it has now been installed in my brain so I don't have to be conscious when speaking was absolutely fabulous to me. I rejoiced.
--
(Not So Good) Footnotes:
Discussion Leader* = Basically means making a presentation about a certain historical topic (e.g. The Spanish Armada). Usually you make an outline/notes (bullet-point style), and a PowerPoint. Oh, and visuals. You explain & talk about the topic. Mrs. R also usually adds points between slides, and as she is quite talkative she tends to go over some points for an extended period of time (several minutes)... which may make your originally planned time much longer than intended and rush over the last good details sloppily. But this can be avoided if you explain well.
...a 7 for my presentation* = Our school system follows the IB system. So all our grades are marked 1-7, seven being the highest. Somewhat like A-F system and % system, only IB has limited, easy to remember numbers. Just my opinion.
United Statian* = Someone on dA wrote an essay where she referred 'Americans' as 'United Statian', as technically everyone living in the Americas (both north & south) were 'Americans', and it was unfair to only refer US people as 'Americans' and not for Canadians, Mexicans, Argentinians, Chileans, etc. And I agreed to what she said; it is unfair. Though it is quite hard to say it.
...taken a liking to the UK* = Brother: You're not being entirely truthful, are you? Me: What may you mean? *innocent tone* Brother: ... Me: Oh FINE. Douche.
Back to the point: there actually is another reason why I gained a sudden interest in the UK. If I spew what happened since February, this post will never get done so I'll make it short. I fell in love with Hetalia: Axis Powers. You may find the implied hint and draw your own conclusions. One of my friends were British so I would've fallen in love one day anyways. ...Actually, remember when I said I thought I was an Anglophile now? Yea, relate to that too.
--
...Probably the longest post I ever made :O

No comments: